Sunday, December 04, 2005

whodini might be on to something....

i'm gonna take you back...way back.

remember whodini's hit song "friends"? yeah you know it. sing it in your head or out loud. now i don't wanna see nobody grinding their ass doing the snake. (damn, just thinking about that dance makes me feel old).

but it goes a little something like this:

"friends...
how many of us have them?
friends...
the ones we can depend on."


it made me think about who's really down with me. my father, old sage he is, always told me you never have as many friends as you think. he says, and he almost hurt my feelings explaining this years ago, is that you really only have as many friends as you have fingers on one hand. not to be cruel, but it goes that your "true friends," are the ones who will ride or die with you. they'll loan you money (and not begrudgingly), take care of you, always be there and will do anything for you without hesitancy. not crazy shit, but their loyalty will never be doubted.

now i truly understand what he meant. (damn, i hate it when he's right...it just gives him more ammunition...)

these days, friends like that rare. people treat relationships like kleenex, and half the time you'll be using one to dry up your tears from the betrayal. take for example my former roommate. we moved out of our apartment about three years ago, and it's been almost that long since we've talked. this is the girl i used to share my love life and wild thoughts with (and vice versa), and she would always be on the same page with me. i was there when her father passed away barely a month after we had signed our lease. we used to stay up nights talking about all the things we wanted out of life.

then we moved out of our apartment one summer two years later. and things just weren't the same. we saw each other few more times. went to some clubs. hit walmart, our regular joint we practically lived in. we began school that fall and lost touch...or should i say she lost touch with me. i would call, she wouldn't answer or call me back days later.

and to this day, i still don't know why. we have mutual friends who ask me where she is cause even they haven't seen her in a hot minute, and because at the time, we had appeared so close.

i thought we did, too.

9 Comments:

At December 07, 2005 12:26 AM , Blogger LadyLee said...

I think your father was right. My high school physics teacher told us the same thing in class some 20 years ago. He said that if you have five true friends, you should consider yourself truly rich. We thought he was out of his mind! (Remember the loads of so-called friends you had as a teen?) But it is all so true.

I myself have seen some of my "ride-or-die" friends seemingly drop off the face of the earth. It's a wierd thing to adjust to, but things get like that sometimes when changes in ones life occurs. But it's probably nothing you did. These things just happen.

 
At December 07, 2005 12:50 AM , Blogger Chubby Chocolate said...

Father's are right...My father used to tell me: "The older you get the more you realize,your friends aren't your friends." He's so right. I've never believed in friends, but I know I have two (including my mother)whom I know I can rely on no matter what.

 
At December 07, 2005 6:49 PM , Blogger nikki said...

people come together and grow apart all the time. it's rare when you find a friend who remains by your side through all the changes. i just reconnected with a friend i've only seen twice in the last fifteen years and it's like we were never apart. meanwhile, i have other folk in my life i see on the daily and we're not nearly as close. it's perplexing, but i guess that's just how it is.

 
At December 07, 2005 8:17 PM , Blogger The Humanity Critic said...

Anytime someone can put Whodini in a blog post, you have my support.

 
At December 07, 2005 9:18 PM , Blogger Brains Nbooty said...

@ladylee...yeah, i've made peace with the fact that we aren't friends, but i still think about it once in a blue moon. sad, isn't it.

@chubby...i do know who my true friends are, but my two best friends are my mother and my sister. i always, always have unconditional love from them.

@nikki...one of my true friends is a guy that i went to school with, who i've fought with and we always manage to find our way back to each other. that's what i think frienship is truly about: love with an respect that transcends anything.

@critic...yeah, i had to pull whodini out the box...my big brother raised me on them, run-dmc, the fat boys...oh Lord, i'm truly showing my age.

 
At December 09, 2005 12:17 PM , Blogger proacTiff said...

I so believe in the "reason, season or lifetime" saying when it comes to people who "run in and out'a my life." How's that for dating oneself. Who sang those lyrics? If I told you then I'd be telling my age *wink*.

 
At December 09, 2005 4:13 PM , Blogger Waddie G. said...

Whodini was the group!!! I love "Friends", "One Love", "I'm a Ho"...

 
At December 17, 2005 3:34 PM , Blogger blackcaesar said...

whodini is related to my richard pryor experience.... this isn't about whodini as much as it is bout friends. do you need friends? can you conduct a fullfilling life without friends? do you need someone to validate your existance for you to say that you exist? i wonder.

 
At December 17, 2005 3:56 PM , Blogger Brains Nbooty said...

@blackcaesar...you know, friends are important. they help you get through the rough times, keep you entertained, and just generally are supposed to bring you up instead of bringing you down.

no, you don't need friends just for the sake of having them. as i've realized they are supposed to add something to your life, not be your whole world.

and God has a way of weeding those people out of your life for a reason.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home