Monday, January 30, 2006

it's something about white women...

"hey, girl," said keisha.

"hey, girl," said becky.

now these are the same two greetings, but said by two completely different people. one's coming from a woman with the same cocoa complexion as me, another's been uttered by a melanin-deficient co-worker. guess which one irks me the most?

my co-worker, God bless her, loves to call me "girl." even more irksome is when she calls me "girlie." it's just something about it that bothers me sometimes. i know (or at least, i think) she doesn't mean anything by it. she's a little bit country, a little bit bougie, the kind that's one generation from the backwoods. when this white woman calls me girl, it just makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

or even still, we'll be working on an assignment at her desk (it's our monthly task). her phone will ring, and she'll tell whomever's on her private line, "can i call you right back? i'm working on something right now with the girl in the office."

excuse me? last i checked, i had a name, a first and last one at that. so now i'm just "a girl"? and i also happen to think that i'm a woman, and not a girl. damn what britney spears says. (if you caught that reference, you gotta a little white girl in you, too!)

you may think i'm being too sensitive, but hell, it would drive you nuts when you live south of the mason-dixon line and have a southern accent calling out to you, "whatchu doing, gurl?"

4 Comments:

At January 30, 2006 8:43 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

like you said, she may not mean anything by it... a lot of women of all races don't like it when MEN refer to them as "girls," then turn right around and have a "girls' night out" with the "girls" from the office... that puzzles me, but I see how the racial issue here may be the differentiating factor... as Mr. Poitier observed, "They call me MISTER Tibbs!"

 
At January 30, 2006 9:05 PM , Blogger nikki said...

you ain't being extra sensitive! i get the same thing at my job (or used to, anyway). then someone called me girl and i was like "my name's nikki. thank you."

of course, they now think i'm the angry black bitch in the office but you know what? i don't care. as long as they stopped calling me 'girl'.

 
At January 30, 2006 9:54 PM , Blogger Superstar Nic said...

I have a "becky" at my job to w/the strongest southern accent, LOL. She says some off the wall shyt sometimes but I just try not to worry about though. Its interesting how we all have such similiar experiences in our lives.

 
At January 30, 2006 9:54 PM , Blogger Chubby Chocolate said...

You aren't being sensitive at all. I've been in this situation. One of the funding representatives for my program called me, "Boo!" He was a middle-aged white guy! I was so taken a back that it took me a day to send him a lengthy e-mail (CCd to his boss) advising him to refrain from call me anything other than my name.

Get that under wraps, Booty! It could eventually lead to her calling you something even more annoying.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home