Sunday, December 18, 2005

what happened to ashanti (awww baby!!)....

it was almost four years ago that we first heard the voice of ashanti. fresh faced and full of spunk, she graced us with the woman's anthem of heartbroken love, foolish. her first, self-titled cd, ashanti sold over 500,000 copies its first week, and went on to rack up 4 million sales. she was the princess of hip-hop soul (i don't care what you say, y'all was rocking her cd no matter how many times she hit the wrong note). it was like 2002 was the year of ashanti....

...then a little birdie named beyonce came with a little cd called dangerously in love, and we all somehow forgot about ashanti. her second cd, chapter ii, though it had rock wit u (aww baby) and rain on me (still my favorite), it didn't do as well. and her next album, concrete rose, fell with a hard thud; hardly anybody bought it...well, except me.

now i'll be the first to admit that ashanti is not the best sounding female voice out there. she ain't no mariah...or mary...or monica...or keisha cole...or toni braxton...okay, i should stop while i'm ahead.

but one thing she did have was a passionate voice, and she was confident. even after people petitioned for her not to win the lady of soul entertainer of the year award in 2002, she took the criticism with grace, and kept on steppin. even when she got dissed for her sideburns, she didn't let it bother her. even when murder, inc. took some hard hits (thanks to the hilarious ja rule vs. 50 cent beef), she stuck by her label.

and where did it get her? making a damn remix album, ie. collectables by ashanti. i haven't rushed out to buy it yet, and i don't know if i will. i was hoping for a greatest hits, but this ain't it. i'll give it to her, though; i do love still on it. the beat is sick.

my money's on mary right now. her new cd, the breakthrough, comes out tuesday. mary's lookin the best she's ever looked in a while, and i'm loving be without you, the greatest single i've heard from her since my life and missing you. but mary had her fall-off days too, like ashanti. anybody remember her last album love & life? i do, but after the jammin first single, love at first sight, everybody turned blind to the rest of her cd. i don't even remember if there was second single released.

and if ever there was a poster child for fall-offs, mariah carey would be crowned america's next top model. after sinking to the depths of despair with glitter, she redeemed herself with the emancipation of mimi. (but i still love the glitter cd. stop hating!) she rode her comeback to success and has deservedly grabbed enough award nominations to choke a horse. but i'm proud of her though. people said she was knocked down for the count, and she managed to prove everybody wrong.

other fall-off mentionables: toni braxton. now, i love me some toni. she's classy and got that deep voice that'll probably make you cum if she sang in your ear. but i don't know what was going on with homegirl on libra. my friend butta played it for me one night and i was not impressed. toni has a great voice, but damn if i could make out a word she says. take for instance her last single, breathe (oops, i meant, please). i like the beat, i like her smooth vocals, but if you asked me what the hell the song was about, i damn sure couldn't tell you. her breathy voice is nice, but she sings with the enunciation of a garbage disposal. and take this ring, (or should i say, 1 thing) was the last straw. maybe if it had come out before amerie's chart-topping single, toni could have had a hit on her hands. now it's like she's picking up the leftovers from people who are trying to take her throne. i don't know what the solution for toni is, but i hope she finds it. maybe she needs to hook up with jermaine dupri...look what he did for mariah.

faith evans tried with the first lady. my anthem is again, even though i can't relate to the "catching a case" part. we saw faith get slimmer, but then we discovered it wasn't kanye's work-out plan that made her so small, more like the whitney houston diet (take five hits a day, berate your husband, and you too could look like me!). but i did love her cd. i don't know how well everyone else did, though. she has a christmas cd out now, a faithful christmas (okay, when is she gonna stop with the endless use of her name in album titles?); go cop it so she can give her kids a good xmas.

who else has fallen off? j-lo of course, but i never really cared for her in the first place. she can't sing worth a damn, but i really had to put my foot down when she sampled shirley murdock's as we lay for that horrid hold u down. how could shirley sink so low? damn, i know times are hard, but selling your sample to j-ho, a classic r&b slow jam (okay, forget it's about sleeping with a married man)? not acceptable.

other people i wonder about:
sunshine anderson: we had never heard it all before until she came. then she disappeared.
keke wyatt: there was nothing in this world she wanted to do but stab her husband. and she disappeared. i heard she's making a comeback, but i haven't heard anything yet.
blu cantrell: apparently hit em up style was her only hit. sad.
112: has anybody heard the current 112 single??
brian mcknight: what we do here stays in the store, too, huh?

falling off can be a hard thing to take, especially when you've been on top for a hot minute. i just know ashanti can find her way back. cause based on what i saw in beyonce's new video, check up on it, it's only a matter of time before jigga's girl falls off, too. hope she don't fall on her ass!!

10 Comments:

At December 18, 2005 7:39 PM , Blogger Shawn said...

Ashanti made you feel like "Yes you too can be singer". I could sing an Ashanti song at karaoke and not get booed off stage.

I purchased Toni's CD for $6.00 at Target and I must admit I like it a lot.

I wonder if Janet will be able to come back and make a hit.

I think Beyonce has hypnotic powers. I'll watch a B video and go in a trance...LOL.

 
At December 18, 2005 8:03 PM , Blogger E said...

Damn...you can get Toni's CD for $6.00 now? Man, she has fallen. I had the same complaint about her. She definitely has the vocal chops but it's like she's eating a sandwich half the time. I can't understand a word she's saying. I begrudgingly like Take This Ring now...*LOL*. Sadly she has some other songs that didn't make the album that are downloadable that sound a lot better and should've made the album. I don't know what her producers were thinking (I guess Toni too..*LOL*).

The array of artists you list that were once big but quickly fell off is staggering.

I do think MJB is gonna come back strong. I'll admit I didn't purchase her last two albums. I may buy this one. One of my boys loves her to death and he's been playing some of the samples of her album that's on AOL. It sounds pretty good.

Mariah definitely did make a great comeback. She's pimping it for all it's worth...though I don't plan on buying her remastered CD (despite the four new songs, two of which I believe are REMIXES of her original songs).

 
At December 18, 2005 8:04 PM , Blogger E said...

P.S...I do think Beyonce's heading for a big fall soon. At least if she falls on her ass, she'll have plenty of cushion..:-)

 
At December 19, 2005 7:06 PM , Blogger nikki said...

beyonce' who? LOL

actually, i'm kinda glad ashant ain't around anymore. her voice was irritating the hell outta me. the only song i dig from her is 'rain on me'.

that song where she samples biggie's 'one more chance'? i absolutely LOATHE that song cuz everytime i heard the intro, i started getting hyped cuz i thought biggie was about to cut in with the 'wha? i got the good love girl, you didn't know?'

instead i hear her friggin whining. NOT COOL.

 
At December 22, 2005 3:10 AM , Blogger TrinaBeingTrina said...

I, for one can definitely do without Ashanti. Mariah Carey Is doing the dam thing, although I don't need to see her just hear her. Everytime you see one of her videos or see her perform she always look like she is in heat. That irks the hell out of me. Toni Braxton definitely needs to annunciate. But I love her to death. I do believe that MJB is about to really make a comeback also. I thought Beyonce's video was kind of hot, and I am not a Beyonce fan by no stretch of the imagination.Was I wrong about the video?

 
At December 22, 2005 4:20 PM , Blogger Brains Nbooty said...

@nikki & trina...hey, i feel a lot of ashanti hate here. come on, now. beyonce may be hot, but i'm getting sick of her, too. she's everywhere...videos, walmart commercials. damn, ho sit down..lol

 
At December 22, 2005 5:49 PM , Blogger Rell said...

Ashanti was terrible. I could say things much worse but I figured I'd try and be somewhat positive.


Toni Braxton is my boo. If she sang in my ear i'd more then likely cum, you're right.

 
At December 23, 2005 11:19 AM , Blogger brooklyn babe said...

Wassup BB (prt 2 lol)

Yes. Beyonce up the game on some chicks.

Season best to you and your ma!
Peace

 
At December 24, 2005 12:00 AM , Blogger Organized Noise said...

Ashanti has a lot going on . . . unfortunately none of it is in the studio. In addition to her "Collectibles" CD her first studio album (released in Europe in 1997) has finally been made available in the US (only a die hard fan would know that, let alone buy it like I did). She is also trying to act and has a fragrance coming soon. She needs to get her ass back in the studio.

Sunshine Anderson could have still been around. Her first CD was nice. she had good stuff, just no support from her record company. I had the pleasure of seeing her perform (She was R. Kelly's opening act on the TP2.com tour) and she puts on a great show. Oh well, we Heard It All Before, but I guess we won't hear it again.

 
At December 29, 2005 3:40 PM , Blogger Chubby Chocolate said...

I was one of the people who wasted my time to petition that she didn't get the award...I was bored.

My favorite female singer is Ndea Davenport, formerly of the Brand New Heavies...Get her first solo cd if you don't have it!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home