Saturday, March 25, 2006

what happened to girl groups: where the girls aren't...

girl groups ruled the 1990s. who couldn't turn on the radio and hear swv's weak or en vogue's free your mind. it was the jams that made us shake our booties at a high school dance or the slow jam that reminded us of our first crushes. there was a time i couldn't walk down the hall without hearing browstone's if you love me, someone trying desperately to match the harmonies of those three lovely ladies.

then, like all girl groups before (and certainly after), they all faded away. the songs of my teenage years kidnapped by three catty women who couldn't simply put their differences to make beautifuly music.

check it. think about all the girl groups that have come over the years and gave it up, turned it loose at one point or another...

en vogue. swv. browstone. jade. xscape. 3lw. zhane. changes faces. total. zhane. kut klose. 702. blaque. allure. even destiny's child called it splits.

some of them you will never see on a stage together again. happily, some of them have reunited. i hear en vogue is planning a complete reunion with all four original members, and have even been touring with new material. swv has been recording an upcoming album that will be out later this year.

other than that, my girls have been silent. sure, there have been other younger girl groups to take their places. but none have been able to hold a candle to these women.

i remember i jamming with my girls to zhane's hey mr. di or kissing you while while total's kissing you was in the air. when all i need was some of xcape's understanding after an argument, changing faces told me it was okay for your black ass to g.h.e.t.t.o.u.t. as long as you don't walk away, jade said, my love won't hurt you.

i miss these girls...music just ain't the same.

who was your favorite girl group????

12 Comments:

At March 27, 2006 10:38 AM , Blogger Ms.Honey said...

I def loved some brownstone and Xscape

 
At March 28, 2006 6:16 PM , Blogger nikki said...

SWV (favorites are "i'm so into you", "weak", "downtown", "use your heart")
en vogue ("never gonna get it", "what's it gonna be", "giving him something he can feel")
total ("can't you see", "trippin'")
702 ("where my girls at", "steelo")
jade ("don't walk away", "mr. do right")

heck, i loved ALL those girl groups, cuz it was cool seeing sistas get together to make beautiful music.

 
At March 28, 2006 8:13 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's interesting you brought up S-Dub; they are performing this wknd in NY.

 
At March 28, 2006 8:49 PM , Blogger Shawn said...

Xscape by far. Their "Traces of My Lipstick" was the bomb.

 
At March 29, 2006 9:27 AM , Blogger BK said...

girl you took me down MEMORY LANE!!! and for the record.. it wasn't Total's fault they broke up.. you can blame that on their mgr who swindled them out dey money but I ain't one to gossip.. u ain't heard it from me.. :)

Man.. SWV was my shyt.. and Xscape is still together.. they just did a performance here back in November.. but anywhoo..

Favorite girl group gotta be SWV.. dat heffa coco can sang!!! :)

*scrolling through my iPod and making on the go playlist*

BK's Finest

 
At April 01, 2006 1:32 PM , Blogger E said...

I loved all the groups you listed. I can't believe you didn't TLC, even though they were doing their thing until the tragic loss of Left Eye.

I think I read that SWV and En Vogue are touring with New Edition.

 
At April 02, 2006 12:26 AM , Blogger Superstar Nic said...

Now this was a good post. You bringing back some memories of the good ole days!

I liked alot of the girl groups but my favs are:

*SWV
*Envogue
*Total
*Xscape (#1)

 
At April 03, 2006 3:55 PM , Blogger SomeOne said...

i thought i heard total was coming back, i hope they do.....love swv....cookos solo album was off the chain too....all them girl groups are missed...but you know history repeats itself...there are definately more girl groups coming...i wonder if i can convince sangin to let me be in a girl group with her

 
At April 07, 2006 2:16 PM , Blogger EnCloset said...

heya, kinda bounced here... I loved the list you got.. looks like my mp3 lists too!

Coincidentally, am listening to Brownstone's Half Of You...
just tears me up!

Peace Up!

 
At April 07, 2006 2:18 PM , Blogger EnCloset said...

ps: boris kodjoe looks absolutely Delice!

 
At April 10, 2006 10:47 AM , Blogger Miz JJ said...

I loved girl groups. Total & SWV were too of my favorite groups.

I did not know that SWV was recording a new CD. That is going to be a must have for me.

 
At July 26, 2007 9:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Undeniably: Brownstone - specifically, "5 Miles to empty". Love dat!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home